Thursday, August 30, 2012

The backyard has begun!

We are one of the few in our area that has yet to finish the backyard and we have started to feel bad about our weed-infested space of dirt.  Our neighborhood is known for having very small yards and instead having communal green spaces for neighbors to congregate in (turns out, it really does work - we know all of our neighbors and people do hang out and talk!)  Yet being from MN/ND, having a larger yard has always appealed to us.  The stars collided when our lot opened up - it has one of the larger yards in the neighborhood, but is still definitely manageable.

I not so fondly remember countless hours of mowing our backyard on the riding mower on Riverdale Drive (I was concerned about my tan and my dad was concerned about the little patches of long grass I left at each corner....I thought if I did it poorly enough he would eventually fire me.  Being the youngest, there was no one else to take over the 3-hour chore so unfortunately I was never fired.)  Zach also had the "pleasure" of mowing lawns at his parent's rental houses and at the amusement park, SummerLand, where he worked during the summer.  Although it would be fun to inflict that same lawn mowing torture onto our children, large yards in Denver are few and far between (not to mention expensive!).

For several months, Zach has been designing our backyard.  He is busy on the computer doing 3D models - and I have silently wondered if this was ever going to become a reality or was just something to keep him busy at night.  I am very happy to announce - the backyard has begun!  The rest of our neighbors have hired landscapers, but not the Bisek's (we are true Midwesterners and will do it ourselves!)  After staking it all out, Zach and his friend dug 13 foundation holes with an auger.



The cement truck arrived on Wednesday and the holes were filled...


And, finally a picture of Lucas smiling in his swing...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment